Leaves One Thought Behind.

I remember something else I heard in a lecture a while back. Read it also in a book at the same time as it was sort of required and all telling me this peculiar statistic of how whenever any major party heads into a mid-term election while in control of both the executive and legislative branches they invariably lose control of at least one if not both houses of congress. It's around like 99.999something percent of the time. The science part of political science I suppose. They keep track of such data. Yet here I sit in the odd hours listening to the bbc and there are these people shrieking about how it's an unmistakeable message or mandate and whatnot.
It's not. If I understand the math correctly, it is no more fascinating than the phenomenon (also well documented) of how in the event of a plane crash people will inexplicably push down on the seatbelt latch. Even though they've been told time and again to pull up. They just can't bring themselves to do it. They always push down. Even when faced with the fire and the pain and the death (which always comes in waves) they always seem to push down.
So I held my breath hoping for a break with tradition or statistical normalcy what have you and I was disappointed. Which of course I'm quite used to. One thing is for certain. I really like the neighborhood by my polling station. I think I know where I might likes to move once the new year rolls around. Everybody is Lost. But they're pretending they're not... Lost.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home