What's This About A New Way?

Anywhere

Tuesday, April 01, 2008

First Last And All The Time.


Riding home from work on the train yesterday I was harangued mid chapter by some all too curious cyclist who could not help but comment on the train's automated voice system to the only person who would listen. Since I was the only other person in the coach I was the natural and exclusive choice. Despite the ghastly intrusion I was gracious and warm as I looked up from my book to acknowledge him while still attempting to convey that I was actually quite engaged. He eventually realized he was being boorish and rude and let me be. However, when I got on the train this morning I discovered that I had absolutely no idea what a tau neutrino was, and I had to reread everything from yesterday. What a tool.

And I suppose it may not have been a bad thing if I'd quit my job on Wednesday. This morning I received a barely comprehensible email from one of my coworkers, and last night I received a call from a firm in Seattle regarding a two month project they have. Of course they left out many pertinent details like start date, hours and rate, and essentially any information that would assist me in coming to a decision. Best of all, and just like God almighty, they informed me that the interview would be on Wednesday morning. Can you believe that? Telling me when I would come in for an interview like some common step and fetch associate?

In an instant it all came back to me. What those people are really like. Working in an office that looks like ass, on minor elements of trivial matters yet constantly maintaining an air of smug self importance whilst rocking their Nine Wests and hideous color job. Plus Pony will be in my place through April so it's quite out of the question. I'll send a suitable declination later this morning.

I know there may come a time when I'm crushingly unemployed and desperate and I may actually regret those words, but the simple fact of the matter is that I'm employed now. Although not happily. So it's not as if I'm opting for unemployment over the chance to be demeaned by the shoddily dressed staff of what apparently passes for the who's who and what's left of some prestigious Seattle law firm. And I'm not one who mindlessly grasps at whatever low lying fruit happens to be along the road. My life is the product of hesitation, calculation, evaluation, reevaluation, ponderance, inaction, reflection, sublimation, oh yes I said it. And consequently I don't look anything like the people I find myself surrounded by. And I do take endless comfort in that.


Well all that buildup for nothing. Yesterdays home game opener was postponed due to rain. I remember that happening far too frequently last year, but I wasn't expecting it. Some of my coworkers went to a bar to watch the Mets game which ordinarily would be fine, but seeing as the Yankees game was rained out I thought it was insensitive and in very poor taste. Well the whole affair was in poor taste.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home