What's This About A New Way?

Anywhere

Friday, September 28, 2007

There She Will Stay.

Well here it is Friday, or at least that is what I think, and even though I have to work through the weekend I still can't help but feel that I've made it through some type of marathon. I have worked 12 hours every day for the last 9 days, and I only have two more to go. Then I can ease back into my normal 10 hour days. Much nicer. I still have a bone to pick with some of the people that tend to occasionally occupy the same office space as me. I was riding in the elevator with one of these people and I couldn't help but notice that he was completely unshaven and unkempt. Almost as if a rigorous work schedule is an excuse to leave oneself thoroughly unkempt. You would think that the look I gave him would have made all that extraneous facial hair just melt away, but even I'm shocked at my own limitations sometimes.

The work is hardly even that rigorous. Even I have time throughout the day to take a moment for myself. Take yesterday for example. I think I finally discovered the mystery behind the phenomenon I like to call the McBoutique. I'm sure you've seen them. Seemingly high-end, thoroughly of the moment clothing boutiques that sell a homogeneous assortment of clothes with ever so clever labels. Each McBoutique may give a wave and a nod to some special designer, but aside from that they all sell the same assortment of the same metrosexual uniforms. The culprit I fear may in fact be the trade show. Take this one for example. It's called capsule, and one look at the participating brands and I think you will agree the that impetus and motive behind the McBoutique is laid bare. The board of advisors is actually made up of owners, buyers, and hangers on of various McBoutique's, fasion blog "writers", and even some reps from Details, and the altogether detestable magazine GQ. A group of people totally invested in and entrenched in the mainstream fashion industry getting together peddling their wares and coordinating it so everyone else is peddling similar variations of the same wares. Huckstery is what I call it. And I'm not amused. The truly amusing thing about it is how they toss it off as though it were some type of independent fashion movement.

Certainly not the most compelling issue of the day, and I doubt Hillary is going to be raked over the coals about it any time soon, but when countless moderately upwardly mobile neo-yuppies are maxing out their credit cards for the next it brand $300 jean then the implications for the economy seem clear. You can buy Acne jeans on Amazon.com. Did you know?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home