You Could Just Tell It Was Going To Fall Down.
*ESA HubbleWell the girls in pinstripes certainly had to sweat Tuesday's blatant and vulgar display of run wastage. Scoring only 2 last night and squeaking through a 2-1 bases loaded 2 out ninth inning. Mo eventually did what Mo does best, but not without a little worry or two. I did a little bit of a dance. I bet you'd like to see my Yankee dance. Oh yeah I bet you would. It kinda did me in, and I collapsed shortly afterward knowing that the Yankees are but a hairs breath away from the division lead. I slept soundly last night. I don't think sleep is meant to be that sound, however, I've recently been put on a new torturous work schedule that has me working 12 hours a day every day of the week save Sunday where an 8 hour day prevents me from earning any actual double time.
All of my co-workers attended a work function at Elevate Lounge last night. They all waited until I went home before departing out of decency. You would be right in assuming that I did not attend. The way my employer just assumes that I would mix in such circles always leaves me shaking my head in agony.
But I can always find something to brighten my day if I look hard enough. The good folks over at Welcome Hunters have begun to receive their fall/winter pieces, and what they are offering is as unique and out of left field as you can imagine. The Swedish label A Bug Collection is a dizzying assortment of tees and hoodies. Staples in my wardrobe really, and certainly not as dour, serious and muted as the Surface to Air I blogged about yesterday. These two tees are obvious stand outs. Colorful, playful, and downright fun. And any tee shirt that comes equipped with self-bloussing buttons makes me shout (internally) Fame!
Makes me think of the tattered Pink Floyd tee shirt my college roommate used to wear and rarely washed.
Brings to mind the Battle of Hastings or Agincourt or something you might find on a precious piece of chipped China.
Perhaps a little too loud for me, but fashion is meant to be adventurous. I may have to give it a try. It is a little spendy, costing a bit more than the Free City Hoodie I picked up last weekend. You can check out Welcome Hunters on the right or you can click here if you're lazy. Hopefully I'll have time to head down to Chinatown and check it out. The lady that owns the shop is quite delightful, and given that the horrendous Los Angeles Summer Season is coming to a close the shops conspicuous lack of air conditioning shouldn't get in my way this time.Well with an extended work day comes increased demands on my somewhat copious talents so I'm afraid we'll just have to leave it there for now. Tomorrow is Friday for most people, but not me. I'm not bitter. Just a little sleepy.
16 Comments:
At 7:30 PM ,
Anonymous said...
I like those hoodies.No, I don't want one. I'd rather have downpayment on a house, thanks.
At 8:11 PM ,
Anonymous said...
its all starting to look the same. its coming.....its coming. the day of rational choices with money is at hand. gone will be the days discussing labels with names someones niece could come up with, gone will be the days of judging each other buy the cost and cut of clothing. soon the day will come where we shall roam the streets naked and with our minds only to be judged. the fat shall have 120 days to get on board or they will fall by the wayside with the ugly and ignorant. clothes shall no longer be needled over for thousands of hours by some ugly piece of shit that can only come across approachable by wearing a "down payment" across his horrid body. the hours will now be spent shaping what we actual have. ...our weak minds and disgusting bodies. instead of labels and new catch, snazzy, and just tired prints, we can eyeball 8 packs and penis muscles. "the future is more futuristic than it looked"
At 5:52 AM ,
//JRB:j said...
God you're so much smarter than me. Why do I even bother. So enlightened you are. Maybe it's the books you read. Or the music you listen to. Or the house you'll one day own, but you my friend are the future. And I'm not in it.
At 11:17 PM ,
Anonymous said...
its not you....its clothes. clothes are everywhere. theyre all over the god damned place and i think you would look fine in a pair of jeans and a white shirt. a four dollar white shirt. maybe you can wear jeans that cost 300 dollars...thats alright, the cut is valuable. but these god damned t-shirt and hooded sweatshirt companies that charge 75 dollars for the absurd idea that theyre pieces of wearable art or whatever it is theyre charging for are ridiculous. i looked at some of them. crooks and castles??? did you read their blurb? i cant see giving these guys a high five for a free shirt much less 125 for a hoody. and the best part about these shirt companies is that theyre ran by little rich jew kids in the city. fuck them. they cant have my money. or myairspace, iran is going to bomb them and thats just how it shall be. no more jews and no more shirts. i will continue to read about baseball, music, and what you do in your life, but i will no longer read abut you jew support through the textile industry
At 7:11 AM ,
//JRB:j said...
Oh for goodness sakes. What one group of muttering superstitious idiots does to another group of muttering superstitious idiots is seriously of no concern to me. Zero. If they want to bomb one another, fine. Lamentable to be sure, but I've come to expect little else from such small minded praying to skies idiots, and it will in no way influence the clothes I buy. And I currently have a mega-crush on a jew so you can just pocket that jive. Like I even give a shit about such nonsense. 99% of the world subscribes to some slight variation of the same nonsense so fuck it. I need to get laid just like the next guy, and I'm not about to start a screening process in order to ease my conscience.
But if you mean to lecture me on consumer choices? An SUV driving, Whole Foods shopping, soon to be Citicorp indebted carnivor, then you seriously need to get a grip because IT most certainly has a grip on you. And if you think there is a single consumer choice you make that is above contradiction or critique then you are deluded.
The politics of the hoodie. Honestly. Lighten up Lucy.
You are right in one sense though. I do look fabulous in pretty much anything.
At 7:18 AM ,
//JRB:j said...
Oh, and it goes without saying that you haven't looked too carefully at who owns/finances/supports Subpop, Merge, Jagjagjuwar and all the other high art outlets you think are worthy of your attention.
At 8:52 AM ,
Anonymous said...
you cannot think for one moment that clothing can actually prompt any sort of emotion resembling the kind music does. so in turn theres a level of business that i guess you can put up with. its not a lecture on you, its a lecture on the pathetic state of clothing and the domino effect that it has on what a seemingly sane man will write about. when i buy 7 dollar a pound ground meat instead of the three dollar a pound meat, theres a logical reason behind it. when i buy a hanes 3 dollar v neck white shirt theres a reason its not a 75 dollar "something and something" ....................shit i dont even care. youre right about what does one group care what the other is doing, and in all reality i dont care what you buy, i felt like it would be interesting to talk to you about this, and it was for about twenty seconds. but now i see that youre steadfast in your consumption of overpriced shit. good. were bowling today....in poor person clothing. well maybe not pony, but you cant bowl in heels.
At 9:55 AM ,
//JRB:j said...
For every over priced tee shirt company there's some nappy headed indie punk white boy piece of shit with a guitar that thinks because he's misunderstood he's an artist. And similarly, somewhere else, there's some nappy headed indie punk white boy in a basement record company listening to a demo thinking "Yeah, let's rock this shit." I'm not saying you buy that crap, but the trick is to weed through the chaff. And how much does it actually cost to make a CD? A dollar, maybe two. If the issue is "overpriced shit" then we are all getting fleeced up and down. And they all cost the same. So not only is it overpriced it's price fixed.
Yeah, there are countless independent clothing labels out there and I've been collecting long enough to know that most of them (Crooks and Castles at the top of the list) will not mean shit in a few years. But just as in music the trick is to weed through the chaff. The emotional resonance of either is entirely subjective.
I mean if we all had the courage of our convictions then we'd all wear $4 tee shirts and buy 99 cent discount CDs of Berlioz and Wagner because that shit my dear has withstood the test of time. Something nothing on Subpop has managed to do. But where's the fun in that?
Also, I think you may have read that I bought my $75 S2A tees from the goodwill. The last $75 Rogan tee I bought at Value Village for $4, wore it once, washed it, and sold it on ebay to some dude in Hong Kong for $60. And I do it over and over again. It seriously supplements my income. The $5 Issey Miyake shirt I picked up at the goodwill last weekend will be inevitably sold to someone somewhere for many times what I paid for it.
How much do you get when you trade in your old Shins CD?
I know how much this stuff is actually worth, and I know how much I'm ultimately willing to pay for it, but at the end of the day I refuse to be the only chump in the room.
As a side note, my collection of rare and out print CD's (a lot of which I acquired used) is seriously worth a lot of coin.
So neener neener.
At 10:11 AM ,
//JRB:j said...
The point of that rant was that I understand I'm being ripped off and used, but I take some consolation in using the whole cult of exclusivity and status consciousness to make a little something for myself. I wouldn't be able to do that, however, if I didn't spend the time learning about it, and occasionally yes, as a seemingly sane man (get some glasses sweetheart) writing about it.
And wearing expensive clothes is an added perk.
At 12:51 PM ,
Anonymous said...
im not sure anymore. im not sure about any of it. but i do think that neener neener is supposed to be used with a rhyming thing at the end of it. like beaner weiner.....or cock faced schemer. but anyway, i do think that neener neener is on the fence all together. it could go the way of "sick" and become all together fucking retarded, or it could end up like "dude" and work its way into our daily usage no mattert how fucked it is. you make the call. i dont really care about your clothes, i just felt like touching base. people from hong kong are as stupid as jews.
At 12:54 PM ,
Anonymous said...
subpob smells. i like castanets and Chloe the best. theyre putting out dance and pass' new album and even a new line called case and wave. its great.
At 1:44 PM ,
Anonymous said...
and i also am in love with the south and music from the 20's to mid 60's right now. all that stax shit is good
At 2:13 PM ,
//JRB:j said...
Some things just don't translate well into text. Neener neener is obviously one of them. But I seriously doubt it's the next meme.
At 8:55 PM ,
Anonymous said...
i was under the impression i was signed in and writing this stuff as me. im not....but its me. i know that you know its me and i know its me, but hey ...people who read this should know its me. meemer meemer meemer
At 8:56 PM ,
Anonymous said...
oh, and that first comment is not me, i would never say "hoodie" nor would i say i wanted a down payment on a house. houses are not meant to be bought. youre supposed to steal them, because thats the hardest thing in the world to steal. that or an election....or something. fuck whoever wrote that. not really....but fuck em'. nott butt fuck em. but fuck them.
At 6:14 PM ,
Anonymous said...
This is how it goes down. If a small company wants to make t-shirts to sell to other shops and still get a little profit to survive. A custom made t-shirt w. a lot of print + maby colored fabric + small details cost around 15 euro if you can´t make the minimum to produce it in portugal or somewere else. So, 15 euro + shipping + custom charges and then the shop gets to buy them for lets say 25 euro (its normal price). So, and then the store always goes with atleast 2 point 5 times what they bought it for. So that gives us a price out for costumers of around 63 euro. I have a shop myself and we are proud to sell independent labels. even if you only buy it on sale so you can afford it, it´s still way much better then supporting the big companies like H&M or whatever. These prices are LOGIC, even if they are high. So, look at prices of designers like Rick Owens! I saw a wallet in paris by R.O. for almost 500 euro. And he is not GUCCI or ARMANI. And it´s just a BLACK wallet. That is NOT logic.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home