Temporary Autonomous Zones.

The Yankees won a hard fought victory yesterday against the Twins. Initially taking a two run lead the Twins quickly tied it up. The Yankees then gained a 5-2 lead and the Twins tied it up again! After gaining a 7-5 lead the Twins scored one run in the top of the ninth, but Mo was able to hold them off. Phew... But during the game I was impressed by one of the Twin's relief pitchers Pat Neshek. Although not as drop dead divine as Scott Proctor or my dear dear Kyle Farnsworth, he is an avid "grapher" or in lay-person's terms someone who collects autographs. Apparently this professional baseball player is an avid hockey fan and will steak out players hotels in order to acquire his booty. That's just precious. He also likes to trade with fans and other players, and actively auctions off autographed gear on ebay. Fresh!
He also has a clever website wherein he routinely writes updates from the road. It is a unique insight into the life of a major league baseball player. The idea of a professional baller staying in San Francisco and taking the BART to Oakland for games just tickles me. And here I thought all professional players were mincing divas, but I guess that may just be a Roger Clemons thing.
Far more accessible than Derek although Derek is more diligent with his journal than some (Read David Wright). And although Pat seems quite amiable with his fans, I'm sure Derek could call me a douche face when I ask for an autograph and I'd just brush it off as nerves. Anyway, now I seem to know what I'm suppose to do with all these baseball cards I have, and reading on Pat's website has given me all the false confidence I need to do what Anonymous D says I should do, Get autographs!
The best part of the website which you can find here was what he wrote about my hometown of Seattle and it's ballpark. Although I probably shouldn't do this I simply have to share his thoughts on our town and Safeco field:
"Well we are in
This is my first time in
Interesting note
The one thing that was kind of weird was when it started raining outside last night the rain was pouring over our bullpen and a little into left field. At Safeco there is just a roof so the sides of the stadium are still open letting air and rain come in...I thought it would be like
Tomorrow I'm going to see The Decemberists and Band of Horses at the Hollywood Bowl. I'll spend most of the weekend in LBC and next weekend I'm off to my aforementioned and beloved Emerald City. I can't wait! Drag Dan to a baseball game and feverishly seek autographs from the players. How cool is that gonna be? Well. You can't count that high.
1 Comments:
At 11:54 AM ,
Anonymous said...
Like Hell you're gonna drag me to another baseball game this year! (Although it would almost be worth it to see you squeel like a little girl if you actually DID get an autograph).
Dan
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home