What's This About A New Way?

Anywhere

Wednesday, January 09, 2008

The Vacancy Will Overwhelm You.


I woke up this morning at a somewhat reasonable hour, and I had some very good news waiting for me. Hillary Clinton won the New Hampshire primary. I'm not really one to get into politics. I find the entire affair a little unseemly and salacious. But I was getting a little depressed that Hillary was lagging, and this was just the spark I think I needed. I mentioned earlier following the facile and unilluminating Apple Youtube ad that I would vote for McCain before I voted for that Obama douche. Then along came media celbre Oprah to save the day and my decision was almost made for me. A media and hype driven campaign seems to underscore and in many ways illustrate a striking problem in American politics. It certainly goes nowhere near addressing it. I want a technocratic nerdy woman in charge. Not some simpering charmer huckster with grand notions and small ideas with a penchant for making women cry. Douche.
_________________________________________________

So one of my favorite websites for a laugh has long been engrish.com. If you haven't checked it out slap yourself and then please do. Apparently, as I read on coolhunting, a recent phenomenon in China is Chingrish. Just nonsensical signs with English words but nothing even remotely approaching an English phrase. And I guess the eff word has been making it's way into many signs due to a glitch in some translation matrix. The Chinese government is making a sincere attempt to clean up the sign before the upcoming Olympic games that most self respecting nations will be boycotting.



Some dude in London named the Decapitator is wandering around and turning luxury signs and billboards into macabre feasts for the eyes. It may be the death of luxury brands as we know it, or it may be the death of trite anti-consumerism in art. In either case it would be a welcome change. I'm being a bit snide, but I actually do kind of like it. Mainly because no one is asking me to buy it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home