What's This About A New Way?

Anywhere

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Seeing Me In Stereo Totality



Where does one find one's sense of moral outrage?

Well... Unfortunately for me I have to look no further than the break room. Given an altogether draconian Internet policy on my project I can't stream news or anything for that matter at my workstation. Luckily there's an app for that. The BBC app. I can listen to the searingly topical and probing insights from the BBC all day while silently judging the more prosaic and one dimensional observations of my office carbie NPR listeners.

Yesterday from early on the news was of Afghan President Hamid Karzai's breakdown and tearful denunciation of violence in his country following the assassination of a top official. Name escapes me. I felt bad even though I couldn't understand what he was saying. Concern over whether the coalition is focusing more on toppling the Taliban than creating stability. Some 8 hours later when I was walking out of the office through the breakroom the incessant CNN was on the TV and they had finally picked up on the story. After spending impenetrable hours going on about something that happened to a police officer in Fargo, North Dakota.

Their take, yes, it may be news, but it "raises questions as to the President's stability". WTF? I've been listening to the story all day and I haven't heard anyone raise these questions. Who exactly is raising these questions? Who? After concluding it must be some intern blowing the commentator in the back room I start to walk away and then I see Ben Stein and some mole of a woman called Ariana Huffington comment on Barrack Obama and they just seemed like a couple of toddlers playing with their own feces. There are actually people who speak intelligently about some of these issues and it is just breathtaking and striking when one is exposed to the banal stupidity of American news.

Do I sound cliche. I fear I may, but I was honestly galled for a moment. Only a moment since I fancy myself all lighthearted and shit.

But the days of me nuking a Trader Joe's insta meal and slurping it silently while absorbing the bata twaddle of these know nothing newsies is over. Weather is cooling and there is no reason I can't go for a walkabout in pursuit of actual food. Lates!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home