I Found Meaning In Every Line.

Last night was a bit out of character for me. Instead of my usual domestic leisure and idle pursuits I decided to attend the cinema with Compadre. It was a decision we would both soon regret. To get to the movie we needed to go to Hollywood, and I don't just mean Zankou on Sunset, I mean the belly of the beast. Hollywood and Vine is where we had to go via train, and I insisted on purchasing tickets, even though Compadre said it was pointless because they never check tickets. Well sure enough, right after the mute stopped hassling us for whatever was scribbled on his paper, we saw some officers and they were checking tickets. I felt vindicated, but it was short lived since they were only checking tickets if you looked poor and not white so we kinda lucked out with that one. Lucked out in the same way on the way home.
Once we arrived we were beset by all manner of glamour-puss, movie freak, and run-of-the-mill Hollywood twit. We had barely enough time to buy our tickets, visit the restroom and buy our gummis before the movie started. I commented to Compadre that it's a sad commentary on the future of films when more and more people are opting to stay home, and watch movies on their computers or televisions, and now when people do decide to dabble in some low culture mindless sitting in the same direction as everyone else it seems that they aren't even bothering to show up on time.
"Yes. Two for National Treasure please."
"I'm sorry sir, but that film started an hour ago."
"Oh that's alright I'm sure it doesn't matter."
I sat there the entire time just wondering to myself (hopefully not aloud) that there are countless people in this country that actually do this more than once every other year or so. They make a habit out of it. While in concessions we ran into some old friends that we never bother to call where I confirmed a lunch date next week that I've been avoiding for the past 7 months. We told our friends we were watching National Treasure and their immediate response was "It sucked!" You see. People in Hollywood can be so tactful and polite. The essence of breeding and sophistication with buttered popcorn and agro mutes to boot. I was shocked that they had seen the movie already, and were already back for another. I found this experience as harrowing as anything else I can imagine, and they were doing it again! Remarkable. Maybe I'm just insular or boring, but they were right, the movie was absolutely inane. No point in explaining why. I spent a night at the movies. It should speak for itself.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home