What's This About A New Way?

Anywhere

Monday, January 15, 2007

You Were Asked To Leave.

The weekend started Friday when I braved the Ticketmaster Morrissey pre sale fiasco. With a few emails, telephone calls, and a moderate supply of adrenaline I acquired all the necessary tickets. Pony, Compadre and some other luminaries will be in attendance at the Pasadena Civic Auditorium on the Third of February. This February. If you would like to join, you best try ebay cuz this show is Sold Out.

Friday night saw the return of home cooked vegetarian curry with tofu and green beans. A statement of flavor, but never over-bearing. Saturday morning was a quick stop in at Alcove on Hillhurst for brunch. The scene was frenetic and claustrophobic. The place was filled with, you're never going to believe this, loud girls wearing skinny jeans and boots. Everywhere, not just a peppering. I feel like I met a bunch of new people, but I didn't, I simply ate in a room full of outdoor voice employing over-eaters.

As for the food, it's always a nice attempt. Nothing groundbreaking here. However, they do allow you to customize your own omelet and I decided to try grilled eggplant, kalamata olives, and feta. Mistake. The feta was served in hunks, and I really don't like eggs. I had a few bites, and really enjoyed my toast bread. It's best not even to mention the potatoes. I don't think I will ever return to Alcove. Too sceney, too noisy, and too too average. The Mustard Seed across the street is much more vegetarian and normal person friendly. Usually a wait, but worth it if you want to leave brunch in a good mood.

Yesterday's lunch at Los Burritos on Vermont was a nice return to normal food done well and with a minimum of static. Nothing fancy, just tasty. I'm secretly itching to try El Grande Burritos on Santa Monica. The steady crowd makes me curious about what they dish up.

Food blog moment over.

The remainder of the weekend I spent shopping for "creature comforts" for my sub-let. And just when I got everything I thought I would need to be comfortable, something unsettling happened. I mean really unsettling.

Someone surreptitiously and in the middle of the night got into the building and slid Scientology propaganda under my door. At first I flipped thinking I was being targeted. The image of L. Ron Hubbard staring up at me from the floor didn't help. I looked out my window to check for flying saucers and noticed the entire neighborhood littered with these pamphlets. So I guess they weren't targeting me.

I don't know much about Scientology other than the craziness aspect of it, but I have to say it seems they take a rather liberal view on litter. And breaking and entering.
___________________________________
Picture, Banskey

1 Comments:

  • At 3:12 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    What an interesting account of your daily adventures. Although you do seem a touch tense. Perhaps it's your stressful career, or the obnoxious little Mintonites who work at that restaurant you described so eloquently, or perhaps your thetan needs some attention and solitude. In any case, I would like to invite you to take a quick stress test. When you come home tonight, after you have set down your keys and used your bathroom to freshen up, just poke your head out of the door. I'll be waiting there in the darkened hallway (after having unscrewed all but one light bulb from the fixtures) with a large burlap sack to shoot you in the side of the neck with a relatively mild dose of sedative typically used on rhinocerous and elephant. We'll have you back home in no time all snug in your bed, with no more than a slight headache. You will be rid of those nasty engrams, but with more reading material than you can shake an E meter at. See you tonight!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home