What's This About A New Way?

Anywhere

Monday, November 06, 2006

San Francisco Values vs. ( boo! )




So my decision to move to Seattle was based on several independent factors and to be fair the weather was one of them. You may remember something about the heat. The white heat. Everywhere so white.

Well the 10 day rain forecast has put some things in perspective. And the ten days of rain forecast is nothing like the twelve days of christmas. It's not festive or charming and it doesn't rhyme. It's just 10 days of humdrum rain. So when I sit in my office and talk to the paralegal, the one with the wide crossed eyes like someone has just struck her in the head with something and I can see the water sheeting down the side of the building and by all accounts this might be the end of the world, but then I remember my very special friend Mary. Mary keeps me sane.

And while I'm on the topic of sanity, the title of today's blog is taken directly from GOP talking points. Yes, faced with the fear of a Democratic house and Nancy Pelosi as a potential speaker the Republicans have a new battle cry. "San Francisco values vs. insert whatever hysterical propaganda designed to instill fear in the hearts of homophobes everywhere here" is their mantra. And putting aside the latent homophobia that these comments are intended to elicit from people in Kansas, I'm a little surprised that the people at National Propaganda Radio (NPR) didn't at least comment on it. But instead they addressed a Republican Cal professor and asked him whether this was a means of questioning whether someone that represents such a liberal district as San Francisco is an appropriate speaker. Really?!?! Is that what people in Colorado are suppose to think when they hear this? Are they even familiar with the San Francisco municipal code? Or does the name San Francisco conger up something else. Something swishy, Something pink, something bath-house-ish, something gay marriage associative, something bad AIDS joke from the 80s related, something from Eddie Murphy's RAW perhaps? I won't poke fingers, but I will vote tomorrow. Vote that crazy ass liberal Jim McDermott back into office. I saw my representative Jim walking down Pike Street while waiting for my bus. Have you ever seen your representative walking through a crowded bus-stop? It's OK if you say no cuz like I said their were multiple independent factors behind my decision.

Onto music. The French Kicks do not interest me in the least. I'm not sure why I wanted this disk, but it was used and I picked it up, and it is nowhere near as foul as Grizzly Bear, but the problem is that it all sounds like a Walkmen song. The same Walkmen song. And I already have that song. And some good Walkmen songs as well.

However, Johaan Johannsson's ibm 14cI, a users manual is another story altogether. You may remember that I had been looking for some of his music, and was disappointed by Amoeba. So I'm not familiar with his work short of some production he has done for fellow Icelanders Stilluppsteypa. But this album is achingly gorgeous, and is as mesmerizing as his reputation suggests, and after only 4 listens this album is being placed on the shortlist along with Taylor Deupree's Northern for album of the year. It's just my short list. Nothing formal or important.

And lastly, Driven will not be released until the end of the month, but I did find this cute article with Derek talking about his perfume. You should read it cuz Derek likes perfume, thinks you can never be over-dressed (he's so wrong on that point), and doesn't like to wear too much make-up. it's like we were separated at birth. Separated after they pried baby Jeffrey's baby hand from baby Derek's baby penis.

1 Comments:

  • At 11:26 AM , Blogger Rotten Little Pony said...

    Ask your friend if she has a brother who lives in Long Beach. On a separate note, turns out Mr. Marr is as impresive as we expected he would be. http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/12369476/modest_mouse_preview_new_songs_at_la_show GoatFace goes tonight. I drag husband, kicking and screaming, to the Thursday show.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home