The Stench Of Desperation All Over You.

This morning I realized that this is the first Seattle winter I have had to endure since 2003. I think I've managed to maintain my dignity through it all. The busses not running during the "blizzard", the blindingly expensive heating bill that just came in the mail, the new adorable ladyboy shoes I bought in LA that I can't possibly wear until June. It has all been a bit much, but this morning, when I woke up, and I checked the weather, and it told me (rather dispassionately) that it was 27 degrees out, I just about lost it. I have had it with this cold weather. I actually ran, ran, to catch the bus. Me? Running? To catch a bus? Just to get out of the infernal cold. It was degrading. I felt lost and emotionally helpless. Got to sit next to a hottie on the bus so it quickly passed.
_____________________________________________
One thing I can say that I enjoy about Seattle is the endless string of quality thrift stores in the area. Rarely a weekend goes by where I don't walk into one, and walk out with a treasure or two. Sometimes a charming bibelot, sometimes a nice Helmut Lang shirt. But, being in the Pacific Northwest there is an endless supply of vintage Pendleton, L.L. Bean, Woolworth, Ralph Lauren (personal fave), Eddie Bauer, and oceans, literal oceans of Abercrombie. Interestingly, but not altogether unsurprisingly, local boutique Blackbird is jumping on this new "American Classic" trend we read about in Newsweek, and is offering the easily acquired, newly trendy, toss-offs and is offering them at marked up boutique prices in something they call the Hornet's Nest. Predictable yawn inspiring trend whoring of the highest order to be sure, but it really takes the fun out of rifling through a pile of clothes and emerging with a $2.99 gem. I mean gem. Vintage Ralph Lauren hunting shirt with leather elbows gem! We likes to hunts.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home