Just Some Random Mutterings.

The interminably feisty Kyle Farnsworth was rocking the same hair don't during the eighth inning of yesterday's game, but he did come through in a big way, and he did it without punching anyone's lights out. Pop up, ground out, and strike out or something in a similar order to maintain the Yankee lead. Mariano then came in and did his thing. Kyle is seriously too cute for that hair, but he in no way shape or form deserves the type of grief he gets from NYC fans.
Derek was wearing number 42 in honor of Jackie Robinson day and that was really sweet. He spoke with Kim Jones before the game about the declining numbers of African Americans in baseball, and Derek just played it off as a declining interest in baseball generally. And I think he may have something there. Not myself of course. My interest waxes unapologetically, but even I notice the boys at work are incessantly involved with these lesser sports. Basketball for instance, seems to be as sophisticated as slamming one's head into a wall. But Derek also spoke eloquently and passionately about the fake American dream the ceaseless marketing of sports to youth perpetuates. He may not have used those exact words though. That man is as wise as he is handsome. RBI and a run yesterday by the way.
What else? Oh, I spent a good deal of time yesterday reading Slate.com which is something I could hardly recommend. I can't think of a bigger waste of time than reading anything Christopher Hitchens writes. Pompous turd. And all the writers just seem to go on and on and you wait and wait for them to make a point, but they seem to take the view that the thesis is superfluous. And the mindless snitty discussion boards? A laugh riot at times, but it's a singular enjoyment that quickly fades. Stick with bbc if you want to hear people discussing something other than how clever and insightful they find themselves.
And then there are the countless fashion blogs that tell me nothing that doesn't annoy me, and this place, one of my favorite joints in SeaWa, seem to think it's OK to buy into and replicate their own hype. That's something I hope to bring back from LA with me. The knowledge and awareness that media whore-dom may actually diminish one's reputation rather than enhance it. Too much. Crass.
I put it my 30 day notice on my bungalow last night so I guess that is that. I shall be leaving and never looking back. Well not until October at least. And just so there is no mistaking my intention I wrote "on the midnight train to Georgia" on the message board in the break room. I don't know how anyone could misunderstand that missive.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home