We Are Saving Everything For The Everyday.
I'm in Seattle doing the Seattle thing, and Seattle is as Seattle normally is, annoying. I walk down the street to get coffee and I am the only person not walking some kind of dog. I smile at someone and they don't smile back. In the coffee shop the place is thronged with middle-aged white people trying to contain their replicants and failing. I notice on the menu something called an "espresso flight" and decide right there that that must be a thing now. I order my coffee and the man behind the counter asks me what kind of espresso I want.
"We serve three different kinds. Do you have a preference?"
I look at the menu, the three varietals, then peruse the cafe and the hectic scene that abounds.
"No. Does anyone here have a preference?"
"OK" he says and sets about making my espresso which despite the pretension and the hassle is miles better than anything on offer in LA, and not as nearly as expensive. Well maybe just as expensive.
The Ballard Farmers Market was another crush of entitled white people in North Face with dogs. We meander, we dodge, there are SUV sized strollers one has to jump out of the way of and it is not unlike the Hollywood Farmers Market in the sense of industrial licensed prams. But it was all good and a fun day.
The new job is kind of everything I thought it would be. Back-biting, gossip and fake smiles. It all works. Walking from the parking lot to the office with Pony every morning is nice. I wouldn't even notice when guys are cruising me unless she notices for me because I'm just so clueless with that shit. I guess her favorite barista with enormous arms and tats was all into my look yesterday and she kind of took issue since she would have rather had his attentions. In a way it is better when you don't notice because then there is nothing you can really do to mess it up.
Case in point: Campbell's Chunky.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home