License To Infuriate.
First day in London and the good people at the Victoria and Albert Museum straight-up tried to hussle me right there in the middle of the gift shop. I had the temerity to ask about information on the Coco Chanel exhibit.
On the nine hour flight from Seattle I had the misfortune of sitting in the the seat where the inflight entertainment system was messed up. No matter what I tried the only movie it would play was Alexander Christmas or something so I had to rely on my phone for entertainment and I read in the most recent issue of Country Life digital edition free from the Los Angeles Public Library, about the Chanel exhibit at the V&A and I immediately thought well there is my fourth day in UK saved. I penciled it in and made a point of going early this morning so I could beat the rush.
I detoured through the medieval section because that is really the one area of the V&A that interests me most and it was on the same level as the Chanel exhibit, but I could not find it through all the massive slabs of stained glass..
A large Chanel display in the central gift shop indicated I may have found a place to inquire. I queued, some weirdos holding postcards not knowing how things were done wandered in front of me, but when I got to the sales assistant I asked where I could buy tickets for the Chanel exhibit.
Some weird guttural sounds emanated from her mouth, her eyes rolled slightly back in her head and I almost called for assistance because I was sure she was having a stroke, but once I realized she was speaking English, just badly and with the tongue-too-big-for-my-mouth speech impediment that is all too common on this island I could understand her.
"Fur, I'm sowwy fur, da Thanel Thow is thold out and hath bin thold out for munfs, but woo can pewchase a membooship and thee the thow that vay."
I hope I didn't smile too much, but I thanked her for the information, turned on my heels and made my way promptly to the National Portrait Gallery which is also free, but I gave a considerable donation on entry just to spite those grifters over at the V&A.
"Thold owt fowur munfs my afffs!' It was only featured in Country Life this week!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home