A Tedious Subject For Tedious People.
I can not longer watch the news because there is nothing newsworthy happening. I am sure it is happening somewhere but it is quite beyond my knowing. I can remember when I could turn on the news and hear news: investigative journalism covering this corruption, or that corporate malfeasance, or that petty local drama, but now it seems to be just politics.
I am not sure what control group told the news moguls of the world that the American people care about the blow-by-blow documentation of the doings of Washington palm-greasers. I mean I have a degree in political science and I never used to watch the news to learn about what was happening in Washington simply because it was never there.
Politics used to be fairly dry, largely inaccessibly and unfailingly uncool and it was on CSPAN and in the Congressional Quarterly, which I would read like a normal ass policy wonk being paid to do so and only because I was being paid to do so. Now politics is everywhere all the time unless you are watching the weather channel or some cooking network. I mean ffs the shrill ladies of the view seem to be incapable about babbling about any other topic.
And I can understand why it would happen. It is propaganda in its purest form. By detailing the inner minutia of politics it creates this false veneer of oversight and complexity that would preclude anything underhanded from actually happening. Which is hilarious because the old adage about sausage making and politics came about neither because they were making sausages nor doing anything polite society should concern themselves.
But now the news media (don't call it mainstream media because that makes you sound like a crank. it made Chomsky sound like an intellectual in the 90's, but now it is crank-words) seems to have decided that sausage making is all the American people ever really wanted to see. Curious? No, not even remotely.
Whereas critiquing politicians, their policies and the underhanded means in which they achieved them used to be the sole responsibly of a political journalist. Holding politicians to account was once 80% of their job description. Now merely suggesting a whisper of criticism is immediately dismissed as conspiracy theory, far left or far right it doesn't matter which depending on who wants to distract whom from what. Meet The Press, Face The Nation, etc these have devolved into little more than highly sought-after media-placements where politicians can sell their agenda, which are traded like some weird inexplicable currency.
The tedious machinations of The State and the corrupt sycophants that busy themselves with its maintenance, its wars, its hegemony its finances seem to be the only thing that is of interest to the American viewer because that is the only thing the American viewer is given. I suspect it in not unlike the state media they are subjected to in places like North Korea, but oh look, in America we have a spiky haired punchy dyke selling us propaganda for the State so that is democracy folks. Go out and check one of two largely indistinguishable boxes every two years, collect your sticker, don't forget to wear it and clap.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home