What's This About A New Way?

Anywhere

Monday, January 23, 2023

Altogether Unrelated To Nothing Whatsoever.


Another glorious morning in the subfreezing depths of Idaho began with someone sending me and another 134 employees a detailed email regarding an intestinal flu which had apparently not only ravaged her throughout the weekend, but also it would seem tore through her family infecting most of them as well.

I can't imagine why I would need to know this and I realize people do things they otherwise would never do when they are racked with infirmity, but this is another example where my frozen entropy philosophy plays out brilliantly. 

Sometimes doing nothing is not only entirely fine; sometimes doing nothing is the best course of action: Don't send that email, don't 'reach out', for fuck's sake don't pick up the phone, just sit there and indulge in self care until you are ready to send a proper email to the people and only to the people who need to know. I can relate through repeated experience that if you do not show up to work for three days, or nowadays if you do not log on and work for three days, they will 'reach out' to you, and then you can advise them of your condition, but only after thanking them for their concern, and reminding them that it is none of their business. 

I also can chalk it up to youthful misadventure. Goodness knows what mischief I would have gotten myself into if after only moments after leaving school I was able to email thousands of people around the world with a keystroke. The hellfire. 

The lesson, if there is one, is that technology can hinder humanity as much as it can help. Ultimately it shall enslave us (I've spent no less than 20 minutes already today doom-scrolling other people's cat issues), but until then we need to strive to find a balance between using technology and getting completely played by it.

I just peaked back at my inbox for hopefully the last time today and it seems that the good people of remote-office Earth have tried to insulate Ms. send-all intestinal flu Esq. from her humiliation by bombarding everyone's inbox with numerous emails containing every manner of extraneous inquiry one could imagine. I really wasn't expecting such unsolicited kindnesses on a Monday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home