I'm Afraid Later May Be Too Early.
Oh how I have been shamelessly bingeing on All Creatures Great And Small on PBS and despite being brought to bittersweet tears in almost every heartwarming episode I believe I have retained enough clarity of vision to see that this show has just changed the doily game. I don't think it has been since Mapp and Lucia the original that I have felt, if I may borrow a recent line from ACGAS, 'the ground shift beneath my feet' so much.
Our dear Georgie has brought many pearls of wisdom into our life not least of which is 'finger bowls are entitled to doilies and doilies are entitled to lace borders.' Some read the bible, some read the Koran, some read tea leaves on the Third Sunday in March, but I find that if it isn't to be found in Mapp and Lucia then I probably can do with another reading.
ACGAS stands in glaring contrast to the rest of PBS content I suppose it just has to be said. The topless waterslide ride of insider political sycophancy couched in trite political takes that Washington Week has become since the sad passing of Gwen Ifill is a Friday night fixture best enjoyed on mute as mood lighting. Replacing Gwen with an inarticulate hyperventilating pin-cushion was a misstep.
PBS Newshour lost its anchor Judy Woodruff, but that isn't losing much and I am someone that adores Judy, but I also never failed to notice when there was a new terrorist group with a name she struggled to pronounce or some newly elected foreign leader might pose a similar linguistic challenge. This really somehow added to the charm of the always overreaching Newshour, but like with so many things Donald Trump swooped in and came to the rescue and PBS Newshour quickly became PBS What Trump Said Hour, then PBS Political Shit Show Hour and then finally to the now long running and dare I say venerable PBS American Politics Is All You Really Should Care About Hour.
Judy soon found herself right at home helming the stripped-down insular self-involved American minded programming where no one's responsibilities extended further than allowing some meaningless government spokesperson an opportunity to regurgitate some highly edited talking points entirely unchallenged save a couple underhanded soft-balls and never on a topic outside of insider-beltway politics, but Judy is getting on and it was time for a change I suppose, but changing the rims on a jacked-up rusted-out Renegade with high-miles and no warranty may not be the best way to spend one's viewers monthly Passport contributions.
Clearly I have some views on PBS not all positive, but when I watch UCGAS it almost makes me want to reach for my wallet and pledge a monthly contribution. Which is why I always keep a list of PBS's corporate funders within reach so I never fall into that trap, Fool me once.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home