This Time Is Yours And Mine.
Barely crawled out from the massive jet lag that happens when you leave the UK and land (due to the cursed and inescapable rotation of the earth) three hours later on the west coast. The first two days you are dead to the world. The next three days find basic motor functions restored as is the ability to make and blow off appointments with ease.
Then, slowly, it emerges that one is actually capable of making other plans. Maybe plans for another vacation, maybe plans to secure more work, however, this is quite unlikely.
Once back, the weather in LA was too hot to do anything but go to the beach so I did that for three days straight. The sunburn was profound especially on the bits behind my legs. A trip to the Getty Villa and Point Dume followed a few days later after I thought I had recuperated from my previous burns, and where I slathered on the SPF 30 with wild abandon.
Then. Road trip.
Los my keys on the way to pick up the rental car, but didn't realize this until I had driven all over Los Angeles and was about to enjoy my Taco Bell. One hour before I have to pick up my brother from the airport I realize I have keys to a rental car, but no keys to a home.
I frantically retrace my steps. I call my building manager and he tells me it is his day off. I tell him I have about as much use for a building manager that takes days off as I have for an apartment without a front door and that he should expect my notice to vacate directly. He reminded me that I signed a lease, and I reminded him that I'm licensed to practice law and not someone even the most seasoned of jerk wads chooses to tussle with on a whim.
Once the manager relents and tells me he is leaving the DMV to let me in I had already found my keys and told him to not bother, but that I was still moving out as soon as my vacation was over.
On that note. Mammoth Lakes, California which has pretensions of being a mountain town, but where everyone acts like it is still LA: no sidewalks, everyone drives and there is actual vegan food almost everywhere. Not bad if you can handle the total anti-pedestrian vibe. The next day wildfire disrupted our chosen course so we had to be diverted to some squalid road which was actually quite pretty. We got out and hiked (pics on Instagram), prayed for continual cell phone coverage and said a small prayer when we finally dropped off the rental car 600 miles down the road.
So now the next couple of weeks are going to be a wild orchestration of obfuscations, procrastinations, resignations, assignations, fly-fishing vacations, high mountain recreations and above all avoidance of any professional obligations.
No idea why I just waxed lyrical there. I recently started watching that show VEEP and have been hooked so that may have something to do with it. And I finally watched the finale of Game of Thrones and am despondent at the loss of Margery Tyrell, but even more so at the loss of quality escapist television.
There is Baseball. And there will be more baseball.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home