When We Are Frightened We Forget.

Positively raving racist black lady at work was all over it on Friday. Thinks she wants to move to Canada. Good God why? I ask regrettably. She can't stand how everything down here is in Spanish. Why can't it all just be in English. I remind her that things are usually in some Asian language in Seattle & Vancouver. Remind her that she'd have to learn the metric system, noting to myself the difficulty with which this creature probably "learns" things. I try to mask how uncomfortable the conversation is making me, but crazy bitch thinks she's on LIve at the Improv or some crazy shit. Pacing back and forth delivering her bigoted monologue. "Ya know they can't read or write in their own language so what's the point? " she concludes which is when I think Dear Christ how do they always find me?
I also stop short of reminding her that the number of seasonal migrant workers is actually increasing in Canada, and due to a variety of reasons, notwithstanding the ignorant views being espoused by fucking Whoopie in front of me, American farmers are actually unable to secure the necessary labor to harvest a good deal of their crop. Making them less competitive in a global economy. Canada is just a more attractive option for them, and people like me are not really left to wonder why with this spectacle unfolding in front of me. But I hear the tea party has some answers. Let's just wait and see shall we?
She all of a sudden u-turns when we get to the topic of graffiti and some sign on Olympic & something and then decides she wants to go back to Virginia, and I am just like yes, Los Angeles does not seem to be for you. You should probably head on back to wherever the hell it is they grow people like you. Virginia I guess.
Again, I think, how the hell do they find me?
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home