Sartorially Disinclined.
I spent an altogether indecent amount of time deciding what to wear today. And this being a Monday I found it extra ridiculous. Entirely inappropriate for an adult in this day and age. One can see why Lord Grantham, Prince Charles, and still a good section of the Peerage still employ the services of a decent valet.
My selections kinda drifted in and out of favor like the sounds drifting in and out of the earbuds.
The Field - Arpeggiated Love just seemed to lend itself to dark gray J Crew chinos, Helmut Lang canvas lace-ups and a vintage Benetton polo in beige. Beige? On a Monday? Kinda feels like you're already giving in, and I've made my lunch, vegan lunch so no beige. Not on a Monday.
The Underworld - Pearl's Girl moved us onto some lighter gray J Crew chinos (you may start to see a pattern develop here) and a sky blue Seize Sur Vingt button up. A bit dressy, especially for a Monday, a bit workers of the world unite, a bit of a perspiration hazard with temperatures approaching 80. Gross. No.
The National - Demons is a bit brooding, a bit like a not so vintage Benetton striped button up Compadre left, I think in exchange for a much better striped Flippa K button up I scored at a thrift store in Seattle. I miss that Flippa K sometimes, and like a sad pity fuck from a few summers past it haunts me. Like the song.
The Weeknd - House of Balloons I think nailed it with slightly baggy (90s silhouette, read about it) putty chinos with vintage cream (not beige) Ralph Lauren tattersall shirt. A nice olive green with forest trimmed raw silk Byblos cardigan so thin you can read War And Peace through it will get me through the frigid morning stroll, and I can throw it in my bag later in the day. It is that insubstantial.
To top it all off I pressed the slightly less gray pair of chinos instead of the putty ones, but now they are both pressed, ready, and I can tell myself I am that much more ahead of tomorrow.
Fragrance - Chanel Pour Monsieur
Socks - Paul Smith (from Compadre so beginning to make up for the Flippa K switcheroo)
Jewelry - One bracelet, Hermes, Spring/Summer 2005. Wallet, same.
But naturally I forgot to press a handkerchief so now I basically feel like a fucking peasant.
Business Casual.

2 Comments:
At 10:17 PM ,
Anonymous said...
All you're missing is a hat I bet.
At 10:43 AM ,
//JRB:j said...
The hurt is still near.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home