What's This About A New Way?

Anywhere

Tuesday, June 16, 2009

All For The Very Best.



I have a confession. I have now become a dedicated Farmers Marketer. Which is to say that it will take something extraordinary for me to miss another Capitol Hill Farmers Market. One of our vendors is simply the most beautiful thing I have ever laid my eyes on. Perhaps a bit too traditionally Chicano in his features, but oh how I sing into his eyes as he hands me my bag of red beans, or peanuts, or asparagus, or just about anything. Anything. And it's all organic. I can not imagine a Sunday morning passing without that man selling something that I'm interested in buying.

Still there was still, and will inevitably always be some awkwardness when you are in such a large cluster of humanity. After leaving the market with my bag of beans and cat nip I was hijacked by one of those sidewalk petition solicitors. A small Irish boy with a clip board needed my signature for some such thing about how elections are held on the local level. I asked for clarification, and he spouted off some catch phrases: "More representative" "It's a publicity show as it is" "Change is good.", etc. The type of half formed platitudes that make up even grass roots democracy in this country. I signed his silly little petition in any case. I had to get back to something anyway.

Well, there is some tension at work, and I need to spend the remaining moments of peace and quiet practicing my serenely disinterested expression which I find to be my greatest defense in a place like this.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home