What's This About A New Way?

Anywhere

Saturday, May 26, 2012

Don't Give Yourself Away.



So it hasn't all been about sex with strangers and skull fucking medicinals. Sadly no. I do manage to get shit done. Hit the library. Do some educating myself. 

Spring cleaning was a nightmare, but at least I can say (like our dear troops) that I fought in a war, and I won (not like our dear troops). Now the maid can start cleaning regularly and I will not feel completely mortified at the state of my apartment when she arrives. 

Part of the problem may have been that I really knocked the shit out of my kitchen. Cooking and stuff. You see, I recently experimented with the vegan diet which was dope. I told MaMa which was not so much. Not thinking I could possibly tackle a vegan diet without destabilizing my Chi, she went ahead and did some research and she told me all about it. A few times actually, and she piled on some cookbooks which was very sweet of her, and so I read.

The cookbooks were really bad, as so many cookbooks written after 1972 are, but with a little tweaking here and there they proved enough of an inspiration for me to, like I said, knock the shit out of my kitchen. Preliminary results below:


Sesame ginger steamed kale with seared tofu and roasted red pepper. Sesame seed vegan! 

This is a a nice little not overly crunchy kale salad I whipped up. The sesame seeds add a pinch of crunch that the steaming takes away. "We love kale!" No, not really so much anymore.  Kinda over it actually, but in moderation I think it can be nice. Starting in about 8 months from now.

Is it as super a super food if you steam it? I don't know, but it is certainly more manageable in the mouth.


Here it is all turned inside out and precious and shit. You could drizzle a little sauce, perhaps even a marinade, onto this and have yourself a nouveau vegan cuisine number. Yes, Nouveau Vegan Cuisine is now the only thing that matters.


Psych! 

Gloomy spooky night. I was missing Ikea. I still am actually, I could use a new shower curtain and scented votives, but nonetheless, loden berries aside, this satisfied my need for a vegan Ikea feeding. Steamed carrots, mashed tatties, vegan meatballs (from TJ's) and onion gravy. Vegan!

Yeah, I cheated and just bought the vegan meatballs. I actually use them in a lot of things. Well maybe just in pasta sauce and this, but it's still a lot. There are some seriously complicated recipes for vegan meatballs out there, and you are more than welcome to have at them, but I have shit to do and I will on no account be bringing a "food processor" into my life. I refuse. 

The TJ's brand of meatless meatballs are nice, but they have good ones at Freddies & most Kroger shops if you can't find a TJ's. I really don't know what I'd do without TJ's to tell you the truth. 



Seared garlic tempeh orzo with sun dried tomatoes and peas*. Vegan! Or not. I may have broke down and sprinkled some myzithra in there, but it was probably going to go bad, and I just hate to waste cheese and food. 

The tempeh is the TJ's kind. Not sure what you can do if you no have a TJ's. Kinda sucks I imagine. Oh wait, Whole Paycheck can probably gank you out. (*Fresh basil is a nice addition to this)
_____________________________

I doubt very seriously that I will start blogging about food. Or even cooking regularly. I think it was a passing flurry. I'm back to insta-meals and the open concept office environment, the denizens of which are quite simply wall to wall damaged. I'm still adjusting, but will have to write about it shortly.

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home