What's This About A New Way?

Anywhere

Monday, November 05, 2007

Don't Call Us Slow.



Well this weekend was quite eventful. We did a lot of things n' shit. Feeling a wee bit fragile right now on Monday morning, but we are trying our best. I wanted to post a video or something and just leave it at that, but youtube has decided to be all sorts of lame this morning so I'm actually going to have to blog for reals or something. Face is still on, and that's perhaps the most important thing.

Started off picking up some friends in the Tangerine Fade from LAX. Almost got a ticket from some officer who was really not very interested in giving us a ticket. Went to some random sports bar in Manhattan Beach. I spent more time in the parking lot than the actual bar. We mercifully made it back to Silverlake where we indulged in kitchen drinking and roughly 3 hours of sleep. Then we were off to Chango, no wait, we first had to go to Smart & Final for reasons that are still unclear to me. While at Chango I sat and read, and quietly judged all the people that will simply not let a single style guide tidbit alone. Hobo bag? Check. Boxy framed sunglasses? Check. Loosely tied scarf? Check. Adopted baby? Check. But I'm still not sure if it's really me. Went to this incredible restaurant on Sunset where they served a wondrous salad with seasonal greens and olive oil dressing. Innovative.

Went to a place called Super King in Glendale and they might as well call the place Bloodsport. Didn't even get into the front door and Compadre was pushed by some tiny malnourished during youth immigrant and it hardly got any better once we were inside. Everyone was 5 feet or less tall and looking for the best deals to feed their inflating brood and if you think there was a condom in sight then you are mistaken. They have been conquered and must breed themselves into perpetual poverty and convince themselves it's their moral obligation to do so and will never achieve salvation if they don't stop breeding and shopping. The Holy Roman Empire accomplished it with dogma, and we can achieve the same effect today with substantially discounted cashew nuts. Genius. The produce section was a mind scramble. The nut bar was, well, a nut bar and I'm not sure what else I can say about that. They sold Cognac that comes in these bottles that resemble the bust of Napoleon. Right. Not ironic, but I think a lot of people will be getting that for xmas this year.

Had to finish up our shopping at the considerately middle class Gelson's and it was a lot like Chango. Some dopey looking thing fingering through the arugula. Common Projects shoes? Check. Band of Outsiders shirt? Check. Obedient Sons scarf? Oh yes fucking check. I've picked up a copy of Details magazine to see if I can gain some insight into the mind of these pack animals. Driving a sports sedan is apparently the new vespa.

Compadre made us a wonderful dinner consisting of roasted garlic consomme', followed by a red beet salad, then polenta and black cod with a mint pea swirl. The main course boasted an assortment of sautteed mushrooms served inside a delightful puff pastry. There was a nice wine, but I haven't read my details so I'm obviously quite ignorant of anything that matters.

I should probably get to it.

3 Comments:

  • At 9:02 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    you make mondays worth living for.

     
  • At 11:42 AM , Blogger //JRB:j said...

    I forgot to mention the Third Ward cookbook we read for inspiration. Something called stuffed ground beef was a standout favorite.

     
  • At 6:01 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I thought we agreed you wouldn't show a picture of my house on the internet.
    Dan

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home